Grab This

Wednesday 31 December 2014

TOO BAD, We Went Into Drug Trafficking For Christmas Money – Suspects

drug trafficking
Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, have smashed a drug trafficking syndicate, with the arrest of 14 suspects.
The suspects were alleged to have dissolved some of the drugs, worth N3 million, in water and absorbed in two towels and a T-shirt, while others were industrially packed in tin foods and body cream packs.
According to Vanguard, Eight of the suspects, according to Lagos Airport NDLEA Commander, Mr Hamza Umar, were apprehended at the point of smuggling the substance, which tested positive to cocaine, into the country from Brazil and Argentina, while six others were intercepted while attempting to smuggle the drugs to Hong Kong, Dubai, Italy and Brazil.

He said:
“Four of the suspects were apprehended aboard flight Royal Air Maroc, on their way from Brazil.
“Okafor, 25, was caught with 13.735kg cocaine in tin food; Okeke, 29, was arrested with 3.425kg cocaine absorbed in towels; Akpobome, 32, was found with 1.730kg of cocaine absorbed in T-shirt; Ani, 37, was found with 300 grammes of cocaine; Madububa, 38, ingested 845 grammes of cocaine; Amuka, 26, ingested 1.505kg cocaine, while Ijoganu, 25, ingested 1.240kg of cocaine.
“Others include Obiefuna, 40, who was found with 500 grammes of cocaine; Ogbodu, 48, was caught with 1.650kg of cocaine; Nwakama, 32, was caught with 1.060kg of cocaine; Egbueme, 31, was found with 1.190kg of cocaine; Nwachukwu, 38, was found with 975 grammes of heroin/cocaine; Adebayo, 30, was caught with 5kg of cannabis and Oforegbu was caught with 505 grammes of cocaine.”
Christmas money
During investigation, some of the suspects reportedly told operatives that they went into the business to raise money to celebrate Christmas and New year.
For instance, Akpobome said that he was promised N2 million if he succeeded in smuggling 1.730kg of cocaine absorbed in a T-shirt from Argentina to Nigeria.
Okafor said he was promised N10 million, while Nwakama said he would have been paid over N1 million had the trip not been botched.
Okafor, alleged to have been arrested with the largest quantity of drugs which was concealed inside tin foods, said:
“I was tempted into drug trafficking because I had no one to help me financially.
“I travelled to Brazil a year ago in search of job. But I ended up hawking toys in Brazil to sustain myself. Along the line, a friend promised to pay for my ticket to Nigeria to spend the end of year festive season.
“He was the person that gave me the drugs packed inside tin foods. I agreed because the amount will assist in no little means to celebrate Christmas.”
On his part, Egbueme described his arrest as divine after he was told that the offence of drug trafficking in his destination country attracts capital punishment.
According to him,
 “I used to sell used amplifiers in Abuja, until I met a former secondary school classmate, who currently lives in Tanzania. He sent the drugs to me and assisted me with my travel documents and other expenses.
“I ingested 55 wraps of cocaine weighing 1.190kg. I had no idea of the punishment for drug traffickers in Hong Kong until I was arrested.
“God has rescued me from death and I will never smuggle drugs again in my life.”
Describing the arrest and seizures as a good way to end the year, Chief Executive of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade assured that the agency will continue to detect hidden drugs and prosecute offenders, adding that the suspects would be charged to court soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment