Grab This

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Malian Muslim Employee Who Saved Lives During Paris Attack Granted French Citizenship

24E2F96000000578-0-image-a-2_1421796547119
The Muslim kosher supermarket employee who saved several shoppers lives during the Paris attack has been granted French citizenship.Lassana Bathily, 24, was praised for his ‘courage and heroism’ by Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve during a ceremony in the presence of Prime Minister Manuel Valls.Mr Cazeneuve said Mali-born Bathily’s ‘act of humanity has become a symbol of an Islam of peace and tolerance.’
With terears in his eyes, Lassana said he did not consider himself a hero
Tonight I’m very proud and deeply touched,’I am Lassana. I’ll stay true to myself.”People are all equal to me and skin color isn’t a matter. France is the country of human rights,’ he added.
Mr Bathily was in the store’s underground stockroom when gunman Amedy Coulibaly burst in to the Hyper Cacher supermarket in Porte de Vincennes, Paris, on January 9 and killed four people.
The 24-year-old guided terrified customers to safety in a supermarket chiller and has since been praised around theworld for his quick-thinking and bravery.
Mr Bathily, who reportedly led six people to safety, told BFMTV:
 ‘When they ran down, I opened the door [of the freezer].
‘There are several people who came to me. I turned off the light, I turned off the freezer.
‘When I turned off the cold, I put them [hostages] in, I closed the door, I told them to stay calm.’
Using a goods lift he escaped and was able to give the police valuable information about what was happening inside and where the hostages were hiding.
Bathily has lived in France since 2006, attending school in the capital.He had filed an application for French citizenship last year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment